Saturday, February 23, 2008

YMCA

Okay, I'm not getting all health conscience or anything, but we joined the YMCA!! It's been fun. The family has been swimming a few times and I've taken a few classes. Yoga, step aerobics and tomorrow (Sunday) the girls and I are going to try Pump. It's been interesting. I signed up for some "basics to" classes (cycling, fitness, yoga and pilates). They are to learn the basics, and are in the morning. I'm going to put Shanndon and Christianna in the "kids zone" while I do classes and Ben can workout or swim or play in the big kids area. Even Ben is wanting to workout! What's even more fun is that Steph's family joined the YMCA also (totally unplanned and coincidental!!!!!!) So I have a buddy to workout with (today Steph and I did Yoga and Step) and the kids have friends they can do stuff with too (we met them at South to swim the other night)! Plus, it's getting us more "active" in this winter slump. And they have kids fitness stuff too for Ben's age. I haven't looked into it yet, but it's there for the looking into if we want it! I'm not trying to change too much. We aren't changing eating habits or counting calories. Just adding some activity. Small steps. I feel like we have options to explore. Another plus, is that it's not dependent on anything. We don't HAVE to do it, we can drop in on open excercise classes and open swim times (there are lots of classes and lots of times available to drop in on!) Also, there's no "have toos" or commitment! I'm loving it. We'll see how long it lasts! It's been fun so far. There are two YMCAs in close distance-the West (main one we use that's closest) and the South. We can use any YMCA, so if I happened to be North, I could pop into that one! The base has a gym for free, but it's farther and the classes aren't as varied or numerous, the pool is cold and not family friendly, and they don't have child care! The YMCA pools are warm, have slides, shallow ends, and mushroom fountains!